The Science Behind HA5 and Skin Hydration
I recently had the pleasure of joining the SkinMedica product development team in their labs on the Allergan campus to get an up-close view into the science behind HA5 and why this product is so unique when it comes to skin hydration and the health of the skin.
Why is Hyaluronic Acid important to our skin?
Hyaluronic Acid (HA) is found naturally in most every cell in the body and is in the highest concentration in the skin tissue. HA is both deep in the skin’s dermal tissue and in the visible top epidermal layers as well.
Young skin is smooth and elastic and contains large amounts of HA which provides continuous moisture to the skin by binding with up to 1000 times its weight in water. Because HA is one of the most water-loving molecules in nature it has been described as “nature’s moisturizer”.
With age, the skin’s ability to produce HA decreases. Between ages 40-50, skin has lost about 50% of it’s HA. With decreasing levels of HA in the skin, so goes the ability of the skin to hold water. This results in the skin becoming drier and loses the ability to maintain it’s hydration.
Hyaluronic Acid has five main epidermal functions:
- Cell proliferation and differentiation
- Barrier formation with tight cellular junctions and hydration (this is where hyaluronic acid in skin care products is playing a role)
- Anti-oxidant protecting against UVB induced free radical formation along with keeping the enzymes which breakdown hyaluronic acid and other portions of the the extracellular matrix at a low level
- Cell survival through activation of the immune system
What is so special about the Hyaluronic Acid in the formulation of SkinMedica’s HA5?
HA5 is the first and only rejuvenating hydrator that provides immediate smoothing in the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles. This hydrator supports the skin’s natural ability to replenish its own HA for improved overall skin health. Most topical HA serums only hydrate the surface of the skin temporarily, but HA5 is different as it is created to provide both instant and long-term rejuvenation and hydration benefits for all skin-types.
The 5 forms of Hyaluronic Acid in HA5 include:
- Time Released HA, a SkinMedica proprietary ingredient for sustained release of HA
- Cross-Linked HA for long-lasting hydration for up to 8 hours
- Nano HA to soothe skin
- Sodium Hyaluronate for immediate hydration
- Uncross-Linked HA for smoothness and hydration
HA5 also contains VITSENSCE technology, an exclusive SkinMedica antioxidant blend, that harnesses potent antioxidants found in Vitis Flower stem cells and algae extracts to support the skin’s ability to replenish it’s own HA and support long term skin health – this is the differentiator of this product from other HA products!
HA5 is appropriate for all skin types and should be added to your skin care regimen. For more information about HA5 call our office (614-799-5100) to speak to any of our patient care coordinators or request an appointment.