Spring Break survival guide
Whether you are hitting the beach or the slopes, or maybe visiting family and friends, we have a few tips to help ensure you maintain a healthy glow during and after your spring break fun. Because let’s face it, even if you are not baking in the hot sun, any sort of travel and change to your daily schedule can wreak havoc on your overall well-being and definitely your skin. After all, it is your body’s largest organ!
Caution Ahead: The Speed Bumps of Travel
While they can be a lot of fun, vacations can expose your skin to a variety of hazards, including increased sun exposure, long periods of time in “canned” air while flying, and changes to your diet and daily routine. All of these things can strip your skin’s moisture, dull your healthy glow, and leave you looking drained once you return home.
- Sleep schedule – It’s likely that your sleep schedule while on vacation is pretty different from your regular routine. Lack of sleep can make skin appear dull, lead to dark circles under the eyes, and cause other changes to the appearance of your skin.
- Temperature changes – It’s pretty common to travel to places that are much different from where you live. Changes in temperature, altitude, and humidity can all impact your skin’s health and appearance.
- Skincare routine – Admit it, sometimes your skincare routine takes a back seat while you are enjoying vacation fun. Forgoing your typical skincare products in place of easily accessible “hotel” products is likely to lead to some unwanted results as your vacation goes on.
- Food and drinks – Of course, it is completely normal to enjoy special food and drinks while on vacation, and oftentimes they are not quite as healthy as you may normally eat. Just be aware that the added fats, sugars, and carbs that you enjoy can increase chances for flare ups of existing skin conditions and greater risk for skin irritation, inflammation, and breakouts.
The Keys to Fun in the Sun (and Other Types of Travel)
Here are a few tips that can help stay refreshed no matter what adventure awaits you during your spring break.
- Sunscreen – Duh. Sunny beaches or snow covered ski slope, sunscreen every day is essential regardless of where your travel plans take you.
- Pack the essentials – We know sunscreen is an essential, but there are a few other items that you will need, even if you choose to leave behind some of your skincare products. Consider a gentle cleanser, a daily wear moisturizer, and a serum to trap in moisture, at the very least.
- Stay hydrated – Dehydration is the most common skin and whole-body health concern for travelers, so make sure you’re staying hydrated. Drink plenty of water and choose foods that are high in water content like juicy fruits and vegetables … and not just the ones that garnish your drink!
- Start off right – Once you arrive at your vacation spot, make some time to begin your spring break with a fresh start. Thoroughly clean and exfoliate skin after you arrive to remove all of the germs, bacteria, and other gunk that can accumulate as you travel. If it’s been a particularly long travel day, you may want to sit back and relax with some ice wrapped in a cool cloth on your eyes to reduce inflammation and the appearance of dark under-eye circles.
Once you get home from spring break, be sure to schedule an appointment with your provider at Timeless Skin Solutions so we can help restore your glow that may have been dampened a bit by all of your fun in the sun.