What You Need to Know About Botox
Botox® is the most popular cosmetic procedure in the U.S., as well as one of the most popular treatments at Timeless. In fact, Timeless Skin Solutions ranks in the top 1% of Botox® injectors in the country! So, what does that mean for you? It means that we inject Botox® all day, every day, and undergo continuous training to ensure that we are the absolute best at what we do. It also means we have the answers to your most commonly asked questions about Botox®.
How much does Botox® cost?
The cost of Botox® can vary. Be wary of discount Botox, as the cost of Botox® not only includes the price of the product but more importantly, the skill and expertise of the provider administering your treatment. The Timeless medical providers are highly trained in the art and science of injectable treatments.
How long does Botox® last?
In general, Botox® lasts 3 to 4 months, although there may be some patients in which it lasts more in the 4-6 month range, or occasionally shorter, around 2-months. It is also common for first-timers to notice that it may not last as long initially but may last longer after the second treatment.
How long does it take for Botox® to work?
While you will begin to see results within a couple of days, it typically takes about two weeks for optimal results.
Is Botox® safe?
Yes, when administered by medical professionals. Many boutique shops and dental offices offer Botox—Timeless Skin Solutions is one of the few injectors in Central Ohio that is physician-led.
What is Botox® made of?
Botox is an injectable drug made from botulinum toxin type A. This toxin is produced by the bacterium Clostridium botulinum. The injections work by stopping your muscles from receiving signals from nerves to inhibit movement, therefore eliminating wrinkles and fine lines that often form as a result of repetitive movement.
Can you get Botox® while pregnant and/or breastfeeding?
We do not recommend receiving Botox® treatments while you are pregnant or breastfeeding.
Does Botox® hurt?
Botox® is an injectable treatment. You will experience some minor, brief discomfort (like a pinch) at the moment of treatment.
How often should you get Botox®?
It really depends on your age, wrinkle severity, and how long the treatments normally last for you. Not every patient’s experience is the same, but the average time frame for Botox® efficacy is between 3 and 4 months. After that time period, you’ll start to see your original facial lines begin to re-form.
If you’re using Botox® as a preventative treatment, you should consider scheduling a treatment every 12 weeks. Otherwise, a maintenance series of injections scheduled every 12- 16 weeks is most likely sufficient.
Can you drink wine and other alcoholic beverages after Botox®?
Wine, like any other choice beverage that contains alcohol, can cause blood vessels to enlarge and blood to thin. Thinner blood can lead to Botox® bruising at the injection site. If you’re careful about your alcohol consumption and only enjoy a glass or two, it’s probably okay to drink wine after Botox®.
Can Botox® cause headaches?
Some people experience a mild headache following an injection into the muscles in the forehead. It can last a few hours to a few days. Some patients, however, find that regular Botox treatment actually reduces their occurrence of headaches.
How can you help make the results of Botox® last longer?
- SKINMEDICA TNS® ADVANCED+ SERUM: A proprietary blend of 450 growth factors, TNS® supports rapid, comprehensive skin rejuvenation with significant, visible improvements in coarse wrinkles, fine lines, and overall texture. The Advanced+ formula lifts the appearance of sagging skin and enhances firmness to reclaim smooth, tight, and youthful-looking skin, even along the jawline.
- SkinMedica HA5® REJUVENATING HYDRATOR: The hyaluronic acid present in HA5® acts as a nutrient to keep skin moist, smooth, and elastic. HA5® provides immediate smoothing in the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles—it starts working before Botox even sets in. Additionally, its time-release formula provides 8 hours of continuous hydration throughout the day.
- SKINMEDICA TNS EYE REPAIR®: When treating crows’ feet around the eyes, Botox will prevent future wrinkling from happening. But it is the growth factors, antioxidants, and proteins in this anti-wrinkle cream that repairs the damage left behind. With regular application, this eye cream will soften the signs of aging, brighten, and refresh tired eyes.
- Obagi ELASTIderm® Eye Cream or Serum: Both the eye cream and serum work to promote collagen and elastin production while strengthening, firming, and protecting the delicate skin around the eyes. The formula also contains caffeine to help alleviate under-eye puffiness. Available in office only.
- SKINMEDICA RETINOL COMPLEX: Boost the anti-aging process with Retinol to encourage newer, healthier skin cells for a more youthful complexion. Daily application can diminish the appearance of fine lines, coarse wrinkles, and dark spots around the eyes. The formula also contains antioxidants that combat free radicals. Available in 3 custom strengths (.25, .5, .1).
- SKINMEDICA INSTANT BRIGHT EYE CREAM: Key ingredients from Lytera® 2.0 Pigment Correcting Serum, HA5® Rejuvenating Hydrator, plus other advanced ingredients create a comprehensive eye treatment.
Is Botox® permanent?
Botox is not a permanent treatment. Repeated treatments are necessary for continued wrinkle-reducing effects. Most people find that the muscle-relaxing effect of Botox lasts for 3 to 4 months.
Are there medical reasons to get Botox® aside from cosmetic purposes?
Botox® injections block certain chemical signals from nerves, mostly signals that cause muscles to contract. The most common use of these injections is to temporarily relax the facial muscles that cause wrinkles in the forehead and around the eyes. Botox® injections are also used to treat conditions that affect how the body functions.
- Cervical dystonia. In this painful condition, your neck muscles contract involuntarily causing your head to twist or turn into an uncomfortable position.
- Lazy eye. The most common cause of lazy eye is an imbalance in the muscles responsible for positioning the eye.
- Muscle contractures. Some neurological conditions, such as cerebral palsy, can cause your limbs to pull in toward your center. In some cases, these contracted muscles can be relaxed with Botox injections.
- Hyperhidrosis. In this condition, excessive sweating occurs even when the temperature isn’t hot and you’re not exerting yourself.
- Chronic migraine. If you experience migraines more than 15 days a month, Botox® injections may help reduce headache frequency.
- Bladder dysfunction. Botox® injections can also help reduce urinary incontinence caused by an overactive bladder.
- Eye twitching. Botox® injections may help relieve contracture or twitching of muscles around the eye.
Our team at Timeless Skin Solutions is here to help guide you through all aspects of your skincare journey. Request a consultation to receive a customized treatment plan perfectly suited for you and for assistance in determining how you can use Botox® to achieve your skincare goals.