Counterfeit Skincare: Is Your Skin At Risk?
Let me ask you a question…
If you saw the new latest and greatest designer handbag at Nordstrom for $600 while shopping and then went home, looked the bag up online, and found it for $100 on Amazon, what would you think? Phony? Counterfeit? You’re probably right! If it seems to good to be true, it probably is!
So why would it be any different for your skincare products?
Many of us are under the false assumption that Amazon, Ebay, and other wholesale websites are providing us with authentic products. Many times this is simply not the case. Did you know that pharmaceuticals and personal care items ranked in the top 5 counterfeited items seized by U.S. Customs? Yes ladies and gentlemen, that means your skincare, makeup, medications, etc. What a scary thought!
Here at Timeless Skin Solutions we carry products from manufacturers such as SkinMedica, Obagi, Clarisonic, and Colorescience. Consumers should be aware of the presence of counterfeits and the steps companies are taking to stop the distribution of these products.
Obagi has started purchasing products from outside distributors for testing. Guess what?! They’re PHONIES! The products inside the identical Obagi packaging are fakes. Millions of people are ordering these products, putting them on their skin, all while under the incorrect assumption that they are safe and effective.
The image below is the list of websites collected by Obagi proven to be distributing unauthentic products. The list is growing daily as Obagi continues to conduct testing on these products:
SkinMedica has also provided its consumers with an list of unauthentic retailers:
Think about it this way… if you needed a heart medication for yourself or a loved one, would you leave the medication at the pharmacy and go to a website whose products weren’t guaranteed authentic? Your answer is probably “NO!” It is important to us at Timeless that our patients are educated and safe. Products sold by unauthorized sellers may be diluted, expired, or counterfeit, and may not be safe to use or perform as tested.
Tips for Avoiding Buying Counterfeit Skin Care Products
1. Always purchase products directly through Timeless Skin Solutions or the manufacturing company (SkinMedica, Obagi, Clarisonic, Colorescience)
*You can even shop for products using the Skin Store on our website or simply by placing an order over the phone (614-799-5100) to pick up in our office during your next visit!*
2. Do not assume that products found on Amazon and Ebay are authentic. Although these are reputable companies, they cannot regulate all counterfeits, and there is no way to guarantee the authenticity of skincare products purchased through these sites. Be especially cautious when purchasing products internationally!
3. Refer back to the list of counterfeit products provided by the manufacturing companies and continue to check for new fraudulent distributors.
4. Call us if you’re unsure! We would be more than happy to talk with you about purchasing products you think may be suspect.
5. “If it seems too good to be true,it probably is!”
There are going to be deceitful distributors who will take your money and sell you a faulty, phony, or dangerous product, so we have to be smart! Always err on the side of caution. After all, your skin is the largest organ in your body!