11 Trends in 2011
In this article, you’ll find a list of the hot new Cosmetic Dermatology trends you’ll see coming out in 20011. At Timeless Skin Solutions, we often receive phone calls about new procedures that have been featured on infomercials or Dr. Oz, and I would like to address this interest.
Sometimes, the media can make these new procedures look like miracle treatments, and other times these treatments actually do utilize new technology in an effective way. Below, you’ll find a list of some new trends that you may see crop up over the next year and some information on each.
In the end, it’s important for you to educate yourself, and make your own decision about what is right for you.
11 trends in cosmetic dermatology you can expect to see in 2011
- Ultherapy – Since the introduction of Thermage and the progression of Titan there has been a growing interest in procedures that transmit energy to the deepest layer of the skin to produce more collagen. Ulthera is a device similar to Thermage and Titan but uses ultrasound technology instead of radio frequency or infrared light. The overall result is tightening of the skin in the face, abdomen, and above the knees. The technology I use in my office to achieve this non-surgical skin tightening with no downtime is Titan.
- eMatrix – One of many methods to improve skin tone, texture and wrinkling. Be sure to ask your physician’s office which treatments they offer that can give equivalent results. At Timeless Skin Solutions, we use the Pearl procedure. Here are the specifics on how this new, non-laser treatment actually works, directly from the Journal of Drugs and Dermatology: The eMatrix™ system’s ergonomic applicator delivers bipolar radio frequency energy via a matrix of 64 electrodes in the disposable applicator tip. The RF energy generates fractional deep dermal heating in the region of the electrode matrix to induce skin injury, thus eliciting a wound healing response. Less affected tissue surrounding the matrix points may be stimulated by heat which helps accelerate the healing process, leading to a rejuvenated appearance of the skin. After treatment with the eMatrix™ system for Sublative Rejuvenation, most patients showed improvement in facial parameters such as skin brightness (83%) and skin smoothness/wrinkle reduction (90%).
- Belotero – Coming soon – the website is just waiting to be launched about this new dermal filler with a reported ability to increase elasticity in the skin. Launched in the UK in January 2007, Belotero® is a new monophasic double crosslinked hyaluronic acid created in Switzerland by Anteis, and distributed in the UK by Merz Pharma UK Ltd. It has been used to treat the décolleté area, hands, as well as the face.
- Dermal Filler Face Lift – At Timeless Skin Solutions, we can lift and reshape a face that is beginning to fall and sag using facial fillers like Perlane or Juvederm Ultra Plus. Patients who receive a “liquid lift” can expect to have some swelling and bruising following the procedure as 6 syringes of filler are used as a base. The final results, however, are often stunning.
- Prevelle – This hyaluronic acid dermal filler lasts 3-6 months and may be ideal for someone who is not sure they want much correction at all. Other fillers (Juvederm, Perlane, Restylane, Radiesse) last significantly longer.
- Redness Relief CalmPlex– SkinMedica is ready to release an exciting anti-redness product that can be used for all causes of redness in the skin. You can subscribe to our blog or “Like” us on Facebook, and we’ll let you know when it hits the shelves.
- Lose those 11’s -This year, you’ll see how Botox and Dysport continue to increase in popularity. It seems like you can get it anywhere these days…even at the dentist! When looking for a t’s important to remember that, when used incorrectly, the face can be left looking unnatural, surprised, or droopy. While both Botox and Dysport are easy fixes for those pesky lines, they should be administered by a top-level injector for optimal results.
- Zeltiq, Zerona, Ultrashape, Liposonix – Keep your eyes open for these fat reduction procedures. Right now the clinical data is presented for people who are very close to ideal body weight with only a small area needing reduction. While a lot of money is being spent on research into these different methods, none of them can compare with standard liposuction for the patient who is more than 5 pounds above ideal body weight. While these non-invasive fat treatment methods are being improved on, caution and a careful review of published studies should be done prior to treatment. And beware of misleading before and after photos: some of them include results from weight loss or liposuction done at the same time as the laser procedure.
- Photodynamic Therapy – I predict that this will hold more prominence at the American Society of Laser Medicine and Surgery in 2011. In the US, the FDA recently approved Photodynamic Therapy (also called PDT) as a treatment for precancerous lesions. In my opinion, this is truly an amazing procedure, ideal for treating aging skin, acne, and reducing pore size. It’s also my favorite rejuvenation method for the décolleté. You may be wondering how PDT works. You can read aboutPhotodynamic Therapy on our website or ask me about it the next time you’re in the office.
- Social Media as tool for education – We’re all aware of how useful the internet can be when brushing up on a new topic, but because there’s such a vast amount of information out there, it can be difficult discern true from false. At timeless skin solutions, we want to make your quest for information easy and we want you to be confident that you’re getting the proper information. We’ve made it our New Years Resolution to bring you information that’s accurate and relevant in today’s world. For easy access to what’s happening, both in our office and in the world of skincare, bookmark our blog , Like us on Facebook , and follow us on twitter . We will educate and entertain you!
– A new FDA approved agent for injecting spider veins. There are many ways to treat spider veins though, including the 1064 Nd YAG laser that I use at Timeless Skin Solutions. Use of Asclera is limited to the lower extremities while other treatments are not. When you visit our office, we will review your different treatment options for veins on the legs and throughout the body.